The coolest toy for your holiday season is the Hoverboard. In 2015: when for the first time, hoverboards hit the market, they experience immediate popularity. They’re also known as self-balancing boards, self-balancing scooters, or smart balance boards. A typical hoverboard consists of two motorized wheels, a battery, a deck, and an electric system all tied up together.
When hoverboards flooded the US market, there was no concept of standards or testing for equipped battery/electric systems. Consequently, reports of hoverboards overheating, catching fire, and burning began cropping up. The primary reason for these firings was lithium-ion batteries and inappropriate wirings.
We know you’ve been going through a question in your mind, “Which Hoverboards are Safe?” Don’t worry! We’ll clear all your doubts in this article.
The hoverboard industry was facing severe trouble because of some cheap brands manufacturing potentially dangerous hoverboards. Therefore, the standards for testing the hoverboards came into the picture—the rules which will assure every buyer.
There are tons of reasons for buying a hoverboard. They’re comfortable to carry, stylish, sleek, and fun to ride. So you can’t skip this fantastic gadget but secure your purchase from any future mishaps. Let’s have a look at them.
- 1 How Are Hoverboards Dangerous?
- 2 Some Facts and Stats:
- 3 How To Check Whether the Hoverboard You’re Buying is Safe or Not?
- 4 Top-7 Safest Hoverboards to Buy in 2021:
- 5 1. Safest Hoverboard For Kids – TOMOLOO Hoverboard 6.5″ Wheel Electric Scooter:
- 6 2. Safest Hoverboard For Everyone – SISIGAD Hoverboard Self Balancing Scooter:
- 7 3. Best Hoverboard for Beginner’s – TOMOLOO Music-Rhythmed Hoverboard:
- 8 4. Safest Electric Scooter – Hover H1 Hoverboard Electric Scooter:
- 9 5. Best Selling Hoverboard – XPRIT Hoverboard w/Bluetooth Speaker:
- 10 6. Safest Self Balancing Scooter in Budget – JOLEGE Hoverboard, 6.5″ Balancing Hoverboard:
- 11 7. Perfect Hoverboard for Adventuring -Swagtron T580 UL Certified Hoverboard:
- 12 Buying Guide for Best Hoverboard:
- 13 Conclusion:
How Are Hoverboards Dangerous?
Before we move on and tell our readers which hoverboard is safe, it’s essential to make you aware of the factors causing a hoverboard dangerous. So without wasting any more time, let’s find out.
Falling Off from Hoverboard:
Like any fast-moving vehicles, there’s a risk of falling off from the hoverboard and injuring yourself. These toys generally operate with a maximum speed of around 10mph, which is equally dangerous to the injuries caused by an electric scooter. Moreover, the hoverboard registers more significant damage than falling off from a slow-moving skateboard.
To avoid such accidents, firstly, we recommend you to pay attention while riding these toys. At the same time, always wear appropriate safety gear like helmet, elbow pads, wrist guards, and knee pads. All these tips will reduce the risk of getting injured by falling off a hoverboard. Stay alert! Safety should be everyone’s priority.
Similar to electric scooters and skateboards, the hoverboards also have a maximum weight capacity. Different models offer different weight limits, varying from 45 pounds(20.4 Kg) to 300 pounds(136 Kg). It is important to protect your hoverboard, assuring that enough pressure is applied to the boards. So whenever you’re out for buying a hoverboard, kindly visit multiple sites to get more information.
If you’re looking to buy a hoverboard for kids at your home, make sure you fulfill the weight limit criteria. Else, the board won’t be able to detect their weight and balance it properly. This will increase the chances of injuries.
Whatever you’re riding on, whether it’s a bike, skateboard, or any powered vehicle, there’s a risk of getting involved in an accident or collision. Sadly, a teen boy was stuck and lost his life by a bus while riding a hoverboard. We’re not here to scare you, but it’s always good to know both risks and rewards. Thereby, we recommend our readers to avoid using a hoverboard in the street or heavy traffic.
Fires: The Most Concerning Issue:
It is one of the most dangerous fears among buyers looking to buy a new hoverboard. As discussed earlier, a large number of cases with hoverboard catching fire were filed in 2015. But since then, the introduction of new standards, testing, rules, and regulations registered a huge downfall in hoverboard fires and explosions.
The hoverboard industry is witnessing a continuous improvement in the past few years. In fact, the explosion of hoverboards has become a non-factor nowadays. Moreover, if you follow some essential tips, you’ll be all safe.
Some Facts and Stats:
Getting involved in a severe hoverboard injury could be the darkest day of your life. According to the research held by the American Academy of Pediatrics, more than 26,000 children reported hoverboard injury in 2015 and 2016. Out of these, the majority of cases were of boys (around 52 percent).
The most common injuries include fractures(40%), bruises(17%), and strains(13%). These figures give you an idea of only hoverboard injuries; however, other wheeled gadgets like skateboards also report injury cases. In fact, there were 121,400 injuries reported with skateboards for the period between 2015 and 2016.
Check: Best Adult Kick Scooters
How To Check Whether the Hoverboard You’re Buying is Safe or Not?
Finally, we’re at the most crucial segment of the article. All our readers have been desperately asking, “Which Hoverboards are safe?” This section will introduce some points that’ll help you find a durable, reliable, and dependable hoverboard.
To make your purchase safe and secure, all the manufacturers need to follow specific rules and regulations. It is vital to make sure that the hoverboard you’re buying is up to the mark or not. In 2016, UL (Underwriters’ Laboratories) came into the picture and defined quality assurance standards for hoverboards. UL is a well-known name in the international safety industry, providing consumer products’ safety standards over hundreds of years. It’s an American agency whose primary aim is to provide a safer environment for both workers and consumers.
In hoverboards, the Underwriters’ Laboratories analyze internal components and make sure they don’t harm users even in harsh conditions. Generally, there are two types of UL Certifications to look for: UL2271, and UL2272. Let’s find out some details for both these regulations.
UL 2271: Safety Batteries for Use In Light Electric Vehicle (LEV) Applications:
These requirements are for batteries used in the hoverboards. This standard does not monitor the device’s performance or capabilities. It only focuses on the safety standards that your hoverboard’s battery has to meet. So if you encounter UL 2271 for the hoverboard’s battery, you can opt for those toys.
UL 2272: Electrical Systems for Personal E-Mobility Devices.
UL 2272 Standard is the most popular and demanding regulation for the self-balancing board (hoverboard/scooter). This standard deals with the testing parameters of electrical, mechanical, and environmental aspects as well. Under this standard, an analysis is done on how a hoverboard will behave against high temperatures, water exposure, and many more. If everything went well, the hoverboard would receive the UL 2272 Certification. Some of the tests under UP 2272 Standard are:
- Overcharge test
- Short-circuit test
- Temperature test
- Over-discharge test
- Vibration test
- Shock test
- Mold stress test
- Water exposure test
- Thermal cycling test
- Strain relief pull test
- Motor overload test
- Motor locked rotor
Note: These standards will not evaluate the performance of the hoverboard. It only makes sure the safety of the components included.
How will you come to know that the battery equipped in your hoverboard is safe? Is it protected, or openly exposed? Undoubtedly, hoverboards with battery protections are more reliable and secure. The manufacturers charge an additional cost for this feature; however, nothing is more important than the user’s safety.
As discussed earlier, the hoverboard uses a lithium-ion battery, which is highly flammable. The only safe way to protect users is by shielding the battery by some covering. If the hoverboard has multi-layer battery protection, then place that model at the top of your Wishlist.
Top-7 Safest Hoverboards to Buy in 2021:
TOMOLOO is continuously serving the industry with some genuine and practical hoverboards. This 6.5-inch Wheel Electric Scooter is another popular hoverboard by TOMOLOO included in our Top-7 list. It uses two 350-watt electric motors, which can generate a maximum speed of up to 8 mph. Like any other model, this TOMOLOO hoverboard also has a 4Ah, 25.2 V lithium-ion battery, which takes about 2-3 hours to get fully charged. On every single recharge, users can ride up to 12 miles. Overall, it’s another top-rated hoverboard for buyers.
- Weight Capacity – We’ll recommend this TOMOLOO 6.5″ Hoverboard for growing kids, but anyone weighing up to 165 pounds can enjoy the ride. But, make sure your kid fulfills the minimum load criteria of 44 lbs.
- Safety Standards – In terms of safety, this Hoverboard has two international safety certifications: UL 2271 (Samsung battery), and UL 2272. Moreover, it operates at an optimal temperature range of 0-40 degrees.
- Bluetooth Connectivity – This Hoverboard features the latest Bluetooth V4.2, offering a wide range of up to 33 feet. Also, the inbuilt Bluetooth speakers have the stereo sound quality to spice your ride.
- Colorful Lights – It’s time to impress your neighbors with five different LED lights that change automatically with the Bluetooth music. It looks stylish and appealing to the eyes.
- Non-slip Footpads – Users will not lose their grip while riding with its non-slip footpads. It allows you to keep better stability for improved traction.
SISIGAD 6.5″ is a new entry in the hoverboard industry, which has rapidly risen to the top in 2019; while it’s the best-seller in 2020. This toy uses the dual 300-watt hub motor capable of delivering a top speed of 9.6kmph (6mph). There’s a 5C lithium-ion battery that provides 6 miles of riding range after every recharge. It requires 3-5 hours to get fully charged while delivers up to 60 minutes of work time. Overall, it’s one of the best hoverboards available in the market.
- Weight Capacity – This hoverboard supports a maximum weight limit of 200 pounds, while a minimum of 44 pounds. It allows for a wide range of people to enjoy the ride.
- Safety Standards – SISIGAD 6.5″ is UL2272 Certified, which means it has been through strict battery testing. Moreover, it also cleared various electrical tests to ensure the user’s safety.
- Self-Balancing Technology – It is the most innovative technology that allows users to learn balancing skills quickly. Beginners, students, workers, and children, everyone will enjoy this toy.
- 6.5-inch Vacuum Tyres – Riding on rough surfaces is more natural with its high-quality 6.5″ rubber tires. Whether it’s cracks, dirt, or bumps, users will have smooth riding experience. The non-slip footpad is also a great addition.
- Bluetooth Connectivity – Bluetooth connectivity and inbuilt wireless speakers will take care of your entertainment. You can play your favorite music, books without plugging headphones.
TOMOLOO is a well-known name in the hoverboard industry, manufacturing some top-notch self-balancing scooters for kids and adults. This TOMOLOO Music-Rhythmed Hoverboard runs at a maximum of 12 kph speed, which is suitable for new riders trying to learn balancing skills. The hoverboard uses two electric motors and a 4.0AH rechargeable lithium-ion battery. It requires around 2 hours to get completely charged, which lasts long up to a range of 10 km. Overall, it’s a lightweight and one of the top-rated hoverboards.
- Weight Capacity – TOMOLOO Music-Rhythmed Scooter has a weight capacity of 165 pounds, which is an ideal limit for growing children. It’s suitable for 10-14 years old kids.
- Safety Standards – For user’s safety, this TOMOLOO Hoverboard is UL2272 Certified and MSDS/UN38.3 and UL2271 Standards for hoverboard’s battery.
- Dual Bluetooth Stereo speakers – This hoverboard comes with dual 5-watt speakers to spice your ride. It also features Bluetooth v4.0 Technology to ensure your child’s entertainment.
- High-Temperature Resistance – The hoverboard’s outermost shell is built from promising materials, exhibiting high-temperature resistance, and fire retardancy properties. Overall, it’s quite tough and durable.
- RHYTHMED RGB LED lights – Along with sturdy construction, the manufacturer also considered decoration factors in mind. The RGB LED lightings change colors and synchronises with music.
Hover-1 continuously impresses its customers by manufacturing some fantastic gadgets. Hover H-1 is another electric hoverboard that is a practical transport option to commute from one place to another. It features two 250-watt electric motors that can deliver a top speed of 9 mph. The built-in 36 V, 4.3 Ah lithium-ion battery is international certified that provides a maximum range of 9 miles. It requires 2.5 hours to get fully charged and comes with overcharge and discharge protection. Overall, one of the best hoverboards for kids and adults.
- Weight Capacity – Hover H1 self-balancing scooter has a sturdy frame that allows riders of up to 264 pounds. Obviously, it’s pretty much higher than the other hoverboards available.
- Safety Standards – This hoverboard has two international safety certifications: UL2271 and UL2272. Along with this, it’s also MSDS & UN 38.3 certified, which ensures lithium battery safety.
- Three Riding Modes – Hober H1 Hoverboard includes three riding for modes for all types of riders: Beginner, Intermediate, and Experts. You can easily change the mode using the mobile app.
- Hover-1 Mobile Apps – Users can perform different activities using Hover Mobile apps. One app will let you change the riding mode, while the other lets you customize the lights and change music. It also displays other details like the remaining battery, speed, and GPS.
- IPX4 Water Resistance – It’s the most prominent feature which is missing with other similar range hoverboards. It allows users to use their toys, even in wet conditions.
XPRIT Hoverboard is a top-rated and best-selling self-balancing scooter available for buyers. It is an affordable and stylish gadget with responsive controls at an unbelievable price. First off, there’s a dual 350-watt motor that is highly capable of delivering six mph top speed. The 36V Lithium-ion battery requires 2-3 hours for recharge, which operates for around 45-75 minutes. XPRIT hoverboards are available in six different color options, giving you the freedom to choose your favorite shade.
- Weight Capacity – XPRIT Hoverboard is for everyone, whether you’re a kid or adult. It supports a minimum weight load of 44 pounds and a maximum of 165 pounds. The quality of the frame is quite impressive.
- Safety Standards – User’s safety is paramount to the XPRIT manufacturers. This hoverboard wins UL 2272 Safety Certification after going through rigorous testing.
- Solid Rubber Wheels – XPRIT Hoverboard uses anti-slip sturdy rubber tires that are suitable for almost every surface. Moreover, they operate quite handsomely, even over cracks and small bumps.
- Brake System – Like other electric hoverboards, XPRIT uses the regenerative braking system reasonably smooth and responsive. So if you’re looking to buy this tool for your kids, then don’t hesitate.
- LED Lights & Bluetooth Speakers – To cheer up your ride, XPRIT Hoverboard comes with vibrant LED flashing lights and inbuilt Bluetooth speakers. You can easily connect this toy with any portable device.
Last but not least. JOLEGE Two-Wheel Self Balancing Hoverboard is a fancy toy, made with uncompromised features and a great design. This gadget gets its power by two 300-watt reliable motors, which offers a maximum top speed of 7.5 miles per hour. It uses a rechargeable lithium-ion battery that takes 2-4 hours of charging time. Also, it provides a tender range of around 12 kilometers. The anti-skid pedal is an excellent addition to stable and comfortable riding experience. Overall, it’s quite a popular hoverboard available.
- Weight Capacity – Everyone loves to ride a hoverboard. Thankfully, this JOLEGE 6.5-inch self-balancing hoverboard is for all your family members. It supports a minimum weight of 45 pounds and a maximum of 180 lbs.
- Safety Standards – Is this JOLEGE safe? Yes, this hoverboard wins UL2272 (hoverboard), and UL2271 (battery) certifications. It keeps the hoverboard’s battery safe from high-temperature.
- Self-Balancing Mechanism – It doesn’t matter whether you’re a beginner or pro. The self-balancing system of this toy will allow you to learn the balancing skills in just 5 minutes.
- Bluetooth Speakers – Keep your boredom away and excite your ride with this JOLEGE Hoverboard. The built-in Bluetooth speakers allow riders to play their favorite music and lyrics.
- Different Variants – This hoverboard is available in different variants. The model with the ‘A1’ series doesn’t include Bluetooth feature, while ‘A2’ series supports. They’re available in various colors like white, black, blue, pink, and purple.
We guess everyone is aware of the name Swagtron. Obviously, it’s the biggest manufacturer of hoverboards. Swagtron T580 is an entry-level hoverboard, suitable for new riders trying to develop some riding skills. This device uses a 300-watt powerful motor, which can deliver a top speed of up to 8 mph in most cases. The lithium-ion battery takes around 1-2 hours as charging time, which provides 7-12 miles or 2 hours of run time. Overall, an excellent choice for people of all ages.
- Weight Capacity – Swagtron T580 has a minimum load limit of 44 pounds and a maximum of 220 pounds. It’s an ideal choice for both kids and grownups.
- Safety Standards – Swagtron is the first UL Certified Hoverboard brand. T580 is no exception, which features a flame-resistant frame, and hardshell design to ensure the rider’s safety. It owns a SentryShield battery, which is UL certified and cleared a 10-ton crash test.
- Riding Modes – Swagtron T580 Pro offers two modes: Learning mode and Standard mode. The learning mode is for the beginners, which controls the hoverboard’s top speed. In contrast, the standard mode gives you the freedom to explore your hoverboard when you’re comfortable.
- Headlights and Indicators – There are LED headlights present to glow your evening and night ridings. Also, you can continuously track the remaining battery life with its five-light indicators.
- Color Options – Swagtron T580 is available in various colors, including black, blue, pink, red, white, and gold. However, its availability depends on the stock details.
You may interested in:
- Best Electric Scooter For Commuting
- Best Electric Scooter for Heavy Adults
- Electric Scooter Accessories
- Best Electric Skateboard
- Best Cheap Electric Skateboard
Buying Guide for Best Hoverboard:
If you’re still suffering to find out the best hoverboard for your family, we’ll try to resolve your doubts. This section will mention some crucial factors that one should consider while buying a new hoverboard.
Note: The very first thing that you should consider on high priority is your safety. However, the upper half of this article includes every answer for the security-related questions. Thereby, we’ll mention factors other than safety in the coming segment.
Every hoverboard has certain weight limits. They have a minimum weight capacity and a maximum weight capacity. Usually, the hoverboards offer a minimum load of 44 pounds and a maximum of 250 pounds. However, some of the hoverboards provide 300 pounds of the maximum weight limit, but they’re for heavyweight riders.
If you weigh under 100 kg, then any hoverboard with about 220 lbs. of weight limit will be okay. If you’re buying a best kids hoverboard, then don’t forget to fulfill the minimum weight criteria.
Everyone loves speed, especially those looking for a hoverboard. That’s why speed plays a significant role while buying a new hoverboard. Since hoverboards make shorter commutes easy and efficient, most brands deliver an average top speed of 10-12 mph.
Most crowded public places like malls, stores, and parks don’t allow you to operate on the top speed. But, at least your device should be capable of providing such a high speed.
First of all, always look for a UL certified battery. If it has UL Certifications, you’re on a safer side. Nowadays, almost every hoverboard uses rechargeable lithium-ion batteries with voltage in between 36V to 42V. These batteries usually require 2-3 hours of charging time and run around 7 to 10 miles on a single charge. We want to tell you again; hoverboards are not for distance traveling.
Conclusively, don’t blindly purchase any hoverboard with an uncertified battery. It could push you in some severe trouble. Keep all the safety points in mind discussed earlier.
Wheels are one of the essential components of a hoverboard. That’s why the wheels of your toy should be sturdy enough to bear the rider’s weight. Additionally, it should have smooth and steady traction over various surfaces. The standard size of a typical hoverboard wheel should lie between 6 inches to 10 inches. Don’t lose your focus, as a poor wheel system could hurt the reliability of your hoverboard.
Are Hoverboards Safe? If yes, then Which hoverboards are safe? We guess all our readers are up with an answer to the question. Buying a well-known brand that has been manufacturing reliable and durable hoverboards – it’s all safe.
Undoubtedly, the hoverboard is an amazing gadget for shorter commutes. They’re sleek, cool, stylish, economical, and a must-have toy. In our research, Swagtron Swagboard Pro T1 Hoverboard turned out to be a clear winner. This device offers different riding modes, making it suitable for all types of riders.
Next, if you’re looking to buy a hoverboard for kids, TOMOLOO Music-Rhythmed Two-Wheel Self-Balancing Scooter will be our top recommendation. The vibrant LED lights and Bluetooth speakers are the biggest points about his hoverboard.
Note: All the hoverboards included in our top-list are safe, and UL certified. So if any model other than these two falls in your budget and needs, you may go with them. Finally, signing off for now. See you soon! Keep Riding! Keep Supporting!